Monday, July 26, 2010

Unforgettable Cultural Experiences at Masjid Kapitan Keling

Introduction

  • The Kapitan Keling Mosque is arguably the best known mosque in Penang.
  • Situated on Jalan Kapitan Keling, formerly Pitt Street, it is the largest historic mosque in George Town.
  • The Kapitan Keling Mosque is named after Caudeer Mohudeen, the head of the Indian Muslim community credited to have built it around 1800.
  • The name "kapitan keling" is used to denote the headman or leader of the South Indian Muslim community.
  • In the 1910s, the mosque was given a major facelift in the British Moghul Revival style, with the addition of Mughal domes and turrets, a large minaret and a madrasah, completed around 1916.
  • Another renovation in 1930 gave the Kapitan Keling Mosque its present appearance after the previous design was deemed impractical.


My Experience


I went to Masjid Kapitan Keling at about 9.30pm after visting the Meng Eng Soo.
My first impression was it was impressive and I was right.
The mosque is big and has remarkable architectural designs.
I also had the chance to go up a minaret.
It was my first time going up one and it was new experience for me.


Masjid Kapitan Keling:
Here are some pictures of the mosque.













Masjid Kapitan Keling Photos:
These are the photos that I have taken of the mosque.
It is kinda dark as it was taken at night.


This photo is taken from the front entrance



The minaret






Photo of the prayer hall



Another photo of the prayer hall



























Another picture of the minaret



Photo of mosque taken from one of the floors of the minaret



Another photo of mosque taken from another floor higher in the minaret



View from the top of the minaret



Another view from the top of the minaret



Photo taken at the top of the minaret



Photo of me taken at the minaret



Informational board (sorry about the poor visibility)






Conclusion:
The experience of visiting Masjid Kapitan Keling was great.
I had managed to see a great historical place with beautiful architectural designs.
Moreover, I was able to go up a minaret which was a new experience for me.
Although the journey up the minaret was pretty high, the view was from the top was spectacular.
I was able to see the surrounding places with clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment